Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Small Blessings

I found my ring!

Last night I was out in the back yard, cutting up a branch that blew down in that huge wind Monday night. As I came back up the patio steps, there it was, sitting in plain sight, in the middle of the top step. I just stared at it. How did it get there? I looked everywhere, I mean, EVERYWHERE when I lost that.
Plus, I’ve been in the yard many times since then. Until recently, I guess there’s been snow most of that time, covering everything. But I was just out there Saturday and it wasn’t there, or at least, I didn’t notice it at the time. Except I notice stuff, and I would swear it wasn’t there.
The ring was all bright and shiny, perfectly round, not even trod into the dirt between the bricks on the steps. Just sitting there, waiting for me to pick it up. Four months after I lost it.

How amazing is that?

I immediately looked up (why do we do that? heaven isn’t necessarily in the sky) and thanked my Heavenly Father for helping me to find it. (part of me thought I should kneel, but I was still dressed for work – skirt and nylons – and it’s not exactly clean and smooth out there on the bricks. Yes, I was cutting up branches in the yard in my work clothes)
Maybe sometimes it’s better to wonder and be in awe of the small blessings that come our way. There may be some logical explanation for how it showed up, how I missed it when I looked so many times before, where it’s been in the meantime, or where it rolled or fell from to end up at my feet. But I don’t really need to know. I’m still in a kind of a daze over finding it.

I told Twin1 that if it ever turned up, he could have it. He used to beg me to let him wear it, back when it fit on his ring finger. At one point, I’d said that if/when I went to Scotland again, I’d get him one of his own – but that hasn’t happened yet. So it seemed like the right thing to do, letting him have this one now, since I have a replacement of my own. He says it must be the magic. I volunteered this ring in Bath, during a comedy/magic walking tour. It floated away tied to a balloon and came back in a little remote-control dune buggy, tied to a stuffed bunny. Just one of the memories in this ring. One of the best nights of that entire trip.

PS: I told you I never lose anything. (though I’m not so arrogant as to take all the credit for that)

No comments: