Saturday, October 30, 2010

Kitschy Cute Octopus

My version of the old curly-legged octopus. No seams here, because that's how I like it.
(Updated with some changes and more pictures, to make it easier.)

Read on, or download the pdf (if for some reason the pdf doesn't work, please email me and I'll get that pdf right to your email (see below for my addy, or, from the download page, click "share" and it should send me an email letting me know you'd like a copy))

Worsted Yarn (or whatever you have - just adjust your hook size to match)
Crochet Hook size E (if you have trouble, just go up a size)
Pair of 9mm Safety Eyes
Stuffing

abbreviations used: sc=single crochet, hdc=half double crochet, inc=increase, dec=decrease, ch=chain, sk=skip (US terms)

Important Note: sc2=sc in next 2 stitches, sc5=sc in next 5 stitches, etc. These are not meant as increases.

(worked in the round, no joining)

Rnd 1: 8 sc in magic ring
Rnd 2: inc around (16)
Rnd 3: *sc, inc* around (24)
Rnd 4: *sc, inc, sc* around (32)
Rnd 5: *sc3, inc* around (40)
Rnd 6: *sc2, inc, sc2* around (48)
Rnd 7: *sc5, inc* around (56), place marker in last stitch
Rnds 8-17: work 10 rounds even in sc
Rnd 18: *sc5, dec* around (48)
Rnd 19: *sc2, dec, sc2* around (40)

Now we make the legs! (chain very loosely to make it easier to do the hdc's)

Rnd 20: *ch20, work 5hdc in second chain from hook and each following chain, sk 2, sc3* repeat (you will have 8 legs)

Note: when you do the hdc's in the chains, it will probably curl up all ruffled and odd like so:
 just twirl it clockwise, and you'll get a nice little corkscrew
promise.

Insert Safety Eyes between Rnd 13 & 14, leaving 5-6 stitches between eyes.

Rnd 21: holding legs in front, and working behind, *sc2 in the sk stitches, sc3* repeat (40)
Rnd 22: *sc3, dec* around (32)
Rnd 23: *sc, dec, sc* around (24)

Pause to Stuff

Rnd 24: *sc, dec* around (16)
Rnd 25: dec around (8)

Stuff a little more if needed

Rnd 26: dec around (4)

Cut yarn, leaving about 8". Do a nice finish, and run the yarn up to the center top. Stitch to secure, then hide yarn end within body.
(I have worked through this a couple times, but I know it's easy to be blind to your own errors. Please comment or email me if you have questions, or if something seems off in the directions.)

Pattern was inspired by several other Octopus patterns, but in the end, is my own creation. Please respect my rights as pattern writer by giving me credit and providing a link back to me if you use this pattern.

Want one, but you don't crochet? Contact me: booketteATliveDOTcom, and I can make one for you, you choose the color.

(Coming Soon: alternate directions for tiny octopus made in pearl cotton and size 6 steel hook!)

Yarn: Vanna in Bluebell

1 comment:

Mrs. Bare said...

Thank you so much for this pattern . I just made this for my 2 year old and he was in love the second I handed it to him! :)