Tuesday, January 12, 2010

and I will leave a trail of pine needles in my wake

Finally, now that the wedding fuss is over, I had the time to take the Christmas tree out of the house. I made the boys undecorate it Saturday, thinking we might need the strings of lights for decorating for the reception. But it stood bare, shed needles surrounding it and crunching underfoot (aaah, what a heavenly smell!), until last night. I should have gone back to work after picking the boys up from school, because it's tax season, but I stayed home and removed Christmas instead.
(As it turned out, we didn't need the lights. Mom brought hers, too, and dad seemed to think one strand was enough anyway. I talked him into two strands, but he wouldn't budge past that. I personally would have used more, but maybe I'm just like that. Got the tree undecorated, though, didn't it?)
I swear, it took me over an hour to clean up the needles, and make sure all other traces of Christmas were removed from the living room. You know, like the stocking holders on the mantel, the cards, my cute Christmas tree pen, the wreath on the front door, stuff like that.
Alas, I did not feel I had the energy to visit the attic, so all the Christmas stuff is piled up around the closet in which the attic access resides.
Correction: I didn't feel I had the energy to get my teenage twins to help me lug things up there. Because talking teens into doing something they don't want to do takes a whole lot of energy sometimes. More than it might have for me to go back and forth, up and down, all by myself.
But it's ready to go back up there, boxes packed, etc.

Anyone need some pine needles? Anyone?

No comments: