Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It was a Frame-up

The little patchwork chicken worked up pretty quickly, once I chose the fabrics.
That's always the longest part of the process for me - fabric selection. You'd think that'd be easy, but there are limited choices out there, and what you have in your head isn't necessarily what you'll be able to find.
I love how this looks, but I really wanted to find something with the green, blue, and pink/purple colors, from the lower body fabric, to use for the beak and part of the comb. I just didn't have anything with those colors that didn't also have something that didn't coordinate. I tried out about 6 different fabrics before settling on the dark brown floral I used, and it was so hard not to go out shopping in search of something "better".

I think this is why I like kits. They gather all the fabrics for you, and all you have to do is put them together.

easy pattern, though the directions for cutting are a little vague.
Fabric 1 (body) is really 2 different fabrics,
Fabric 2 (tail, comb, beak) is really an assortment of 3-4 fabrics,
Fabrics 3-6 (background) are all the same fabric, different cuts.
The picture is more helpful than what's written, but it would be nice if the directions were explained a little better.

When I cut my background fabric, I went ahead and cut the 1 1/2" strip from the full width of the fabric (that's a strip size I often use anyway), so I had plenty of extra for borders. I hadn't yet decided how I was going to finish the block when I realized that if I added a border from 1 1/2" strips, it would fit in an 8 x 10 frame. I thought that sounded like a good idea.
To do this, you need four 1 1/2" x 8 1/2" strips (total 25 1/2").
Sew the strips to the right and left sides of the chicken first, then to the top and bottom.
This will give you just enough to fold to the back of a piece of cardboard cut to fit your frame. Tape it in place (I used masking tape) and put it in the frame.

Of course, this would be really cute made up into a pillow, or as part of a larger quilt, both of which I could still do, should I change my mind. I'm happy with it the way it is for now.

No comments: