For years, I searched high and low, to no avail. After a while, I was willing to step outside the traditional, look for anything that might suggest any color of leaf, in any stage besides fresh green. I'd be happy with shaded browns. I even considered going with a "candy corn" look. Nada. When I finally did find some, all they had was an enormous 1lb cone. I didn't even think twice, though - I bought it.
Then it sat a while. The animosity it had absorbed over the years put me off, I think.
Luckily, the intended recipients birthday rolled around again, I was reminded with time to spare (you'd think I could keep track of these things on my own), and the project came out of hibernation.
I couldn't find or remember what pattern I'd been using, so I had to decipher it by looking at another, but that wasn't too difficult. (Only after I'd given them did I recall why the ball bands were still tucked in with the rest of the project - on the reverse was the pattern.)
At the last minute, I decided these deserved a better presentation than just being folded in neat rectangles and stuffed into a gift bag. I fan-folded them together, tied each set with a bit of curling ribbon, found a larger gift bag, and stacked them gently in seasonal order, Spring on top. Lovely!