Wednesday, March 3, 2010

library love

I went to my local library last night to pick up a book I'd had on hold for me. A book I had to pick up now, or it would go to the next requester, never mind I never got a phone call or email telling me it was waiting for me. Humph.
That's hardly showing my love, is it?
The thing I love, is how much my library card can do for me.
See, I went in for this book, Mrs Mike, which I'm now going to have to speed read to be able to discuss with my book club next Tuesday. That's my fault, I didn't try to get it from the library until last week, at which time all were checked out. Naturally. Hence the hold request.
But I digress.
So, I pick up my book, and head for the automated check-out, when, out of the corner of my eye, I see the displays of "new fiction". I like new. Let's see what they've got over there...
A few moments of browsing later, I find Mr. Darcy, Vampire. As in, Miss Elizabeth Bennett's one and only true love, but now he's undead. Which could explain an awful lot.
I flit out of the library, two books the richer, and head for the grocery store to buy lunch fixin's for Twin1 and Twin2.
Which is when I realize why I love my library card.
I leave the grocery store, $33.60 having left my account in payment for said lunch fixin's, and I think to myself:
I (and the Twins) will consume this food, and it will become part of me, and I will enjoy it. And I'll still be out that $33.60 at the end of it. On the other hand, I will read my books, they will become part of me, I will consume them, in like manner, though possibly over a much shorter period of time, discuss them, and enjoy them (at least, I expect I will enjoy them), and then, having given no money whatsoever for this privilege, I will return these books, because that's how it works, that's what is expected. And they will still be part of me.
Dear Library, I know I don't visit as often as I should. But, may I say? I love you.

No comments: