Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Twinkie Dogs, anyone?

My hot dog bun is about Twinkie sized.
(mmmm.....Twinkies....)

Maybe a tad bigger, but still, not quite big enough to be a hot dog bun. I haven't any hot dog buns handy to compare it to, but I'm pretty sure the last ones I had were bigger than a Twinkie.
Must be that I crochet a bit on the tight side. Because otherwise the stuffing would show through, or possibly even poke out.

I still maintain you need more than 13 rounds to get your hot dog to the right length. Even if the bun does end up Twinkie-sized.
The stitch marker in the photo is at the end of the 13 rounds. And in this picture, my dog looks very red, but it's not that way in person. I pulled out a skein of Vanna in Rust, suggested by someone as a good color for a hot dog. It looks icky to me, as a food color. But maybe I'll try it, see which one looks more realistic as a finished fiber food.

This whole Twinkie thing has me thinking....On NPR's Wait Wait a while back, they had on Paula Deen, this southern chef. She had invented a "Ladies Brunch Hamburger", with a fried egg on top, and for the bun she'd used Krispy Kremes. Seriously. Which brings up the whole idea of a hot dog in a Twinkie, possibly deep fried (that woman will deep-fry anything). Lunch, anyone?

No comments: