Friday, June 11, 2010

Dazlious!


(photo: IMDB)

I came to Snow Cake by way of a preview on I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With (good, but I didn't rush out to buy it), which I was watching because I'd seen a preview on either Mostly Martha or No Reservations (based on Mostly Martha, both are worth seeing).

This is why I don't skip the previews, even at home.

I did rush out to buy this one. I haven't even returned it to Netflix yet, and I've already ordered my own copy to keep.

I can't even explain how amazing this movie is.

Alan Rickman, Sigourney Weaver, Carrie-Anne Moss. Whoa.

Alex (Rickman) reluctantly picks up a hitch-hiker, a quirky teenage girl, as he's driving to Winnipeg. A semi rams into his car, and she's killed. He feels a need to talk to her mother, to apologize, even though he's not at fault. So he finds her. The mother, Linda (Weaver), is a "highly functioning" autistic.

Funny, emotional, cerebral. A few moments that had me thinking, "I do that, too..." and one moment in particular, which just about did me in, having to do with a well-meaning neighbor, and one of those pizza-pan-sized cookies that some folks think can stand in for cake.

I love independent films.

Be sure you watch the deleted scenes, too.

(film is not rated, but I'd say PG - a good date movie, but not something to watch with the kids, because they just won't understand it)

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Can I borrow it sometime? I'm sick of candy films.