Monday, August 2, 2010
Zoe Lily-Belle of the wild hair
Her hair took, like, forever. And I wish it wasn't all sticking out every which way. Still, she's pretty cute.
I had to work more rounds for my wig cap. I increased (just like for the head) until I had 42 stitches, then did 2 rnds sc. I worked loose, but I still needed more rounds for it to cover the head in the right way. Sew it on, just around the edges, leaving at least 5 rounds above the eyes, and it should be a few rounds above the neck at the back. A loose stitch is good here, so you can easily loop the hair through it.
To cut my hair pieces, I used a nifty little item called a Trim Tool.
It has this adjustable thing that goes in different slots (for different lengths), and you wind your yarn around it, then cut it using the special slots at the top and bottom. This is what I use when making tassels, too. I love my trim tool.
If you don't have one, but you need to cut a bunch of yarn into equal lengths, I suggest cutting two pieces of stiff cardboard (from the back of a legal pad or similar notebook - really stiff, thick cardboard) the length you need, and about 3"-4" wide. Hold both pieces together, and wind your yarn around it however many times, then cut it by sliding your scissors between the two cardboard layers, and cutting at both bottom and top. (make sense?)
I cut a whole bunch of 5" lengths of yarn.
After sewing her wig cap to her head, I looped yarn lengths (latch-hook-style) through all the stitches around the edge, then, following this advice, I decided where the "part" would be, and looped through every stitch on either side, making my loops in opposite directions (so the loop over the two ends was hidden under the hair). I then looped in hair about every other stitch, every other row, to fill in the rest of the head. I then added in a few more in places where it seemed to need it. I cut her bangs and a few other hairs to frame the face (scary, because yarn hair doesn't grow...). I'm okay with it, it's cute, but it's not what I had in my head when I started.
I embroidered her eyebrows (you can't see them) and eyelashes (sorta visible) referring to the picture. For the lashes, since my safety eyes were on really tight, I started at the outside end of the top lash, looped it around the eye (pull tight!), pass thread under first lash, then out to end of second lash. So maybe it would have been better to embroider those before attaching the eyes...
(I must have stuffed mine too much, because her arms won't stay down.)