Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Honey Bees

Anyone else remember that episode of Gilligan's Island? Where the girls sing "You Need Us"? Where did they get those white Go-Go boots anyway?
Lemme tell you, I know Ginger was supposed to be the sexy one, but her dance moves have got nothin' on Maryann.

Not that that has anything to do with my little honey bees and their hive. It just popped into my head when I started this post, so, I figured, take a little walk down memory lane.

So, the hive is a bit smaller than I expected. I thought about ripping it back, using bigger needles, but I figured, trust the designer, and just keep going. And it worked out. It does fit all three bees, could maybe even hold a fourth, if you squish them (all three are in there...promise).
At first, I wasn't sure about her non-traditional colors for the bees. I did one with mustard yellow, but I also tried one in beige and espresso, and I think it's pretty cute.
Which one is Ginger?

The stitch count on the bees was off on my copy, but I just checked, and it's correct now, so no worries.
How about those petal wings? It looks like crochet, but it's knitted. I think I like that version best, though both are really cute.

You'll never guess what color yarn I used for the hive: Honey. Serious.

Love this little toy. Wish I had a youngster to hand it to in church.

Yarns: Vanna in Honey, Mustard, Toffee, Beige, Espresso

No comments: