Friday, October 15, 2010

Bad Baby Pie

I've mentioned this little bit of deliciousness a couple times recently, so I figured it was time to share the recipe. The idea came from a pie described in the movie Waitress ("I'm calling it I-don't-wanna-have-Earl's-baby Pie." "Hon? I don't think we can put that on the menu."). That movie should have come with a cook book. It's hard on a gal, watching all that pie being made, and not being able to have some.
This one, though, seemed simple enough. It's basically a quiche, so all I needed was a basic quiche recipe, and some ham and brie.


I go really low-prep on this one, but you can step it up if you want.

1 ready-made pie crust (I use Pillsbury*, found near the butter)
1/2 lb ham, cubed (I buy that already cut up, too, when it's on sale)
1 wedge good brie (Margaux has a nice rind. Primrose is okay. Don't bother with President.)
6 eggs
1C cream
salt and pepper to taste

roll out crust and press into bottom of pan
cut brie into 1/2" thick slices, and place in single layer over crust
layer ham on top of brie
whisk eggs into cream, add salt and pepper to taste, and pour over ham & brie

bake at 375F for 40 min, or until it's set in center.

note: sometimes, depending on my mood or the amount of brie, I will add 3 more eggs and another 1/2 c of cream, just to fill the pan. If you do that, you will probably need another 15 min cooking time. Just make sure there isn't any "jiggle" in the center, and that a knife comes out clean when you stick it in near the middle. Undercooked egg is not a good thing.

*I do have a good pie crust recipe, but when I'm in a hurry, or just not in the mood to start from scratch, Pillsbury makes a very nice crust.

No comments: