Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fun Mail

Remember when getting mail was a good thing?
Used to be, if you got mail, it was generally something personal. Then came utilities, and a mortgage, and credit cards, and your mail was all kinds of bills. Then the advertisers came up with junk mail, and now your mailbox contents (snail or otherwise) consist largely of stuff you never asked for, probably don't want, and definitely don't need. (At our house, we use that stuff to keep recyclers in business. It goes directly from the mailbox to the recycle bin, with hardly a glance.)

But still, every once in a while, something personal, maybe even something unexpected, shows up.

Yesterday, I got both.

First, I'd almost forgotten I'd placed an order, but there it was, a box from Knit Picks,
with 2 skeins of sock yarn in a limited edition colorway called Time Traveler (can you guess why?), a darning egg (I have a sock in need, but was sure I'd manage to mess it up without the real deal (heard of using a light bulb, had nightmares of crushing it, ending up with a holey sock full of glass shards, just couldn't do it), and surprise, they're not expensive), and, not exactly practical, but really very cute, the little sock-blocker key chain, complete with a pattern to make a sock for it. It was all I could do to not search out my sock remnants and either mend the sock-in-need, or knit up the mini sock for the key chain, possibly both.

I sifted through the rest of the mail, and found something totally unexpected, obviously personal,
 and practically covered in stickers.
Such a bright, cheery little surprise: An invitation to carve pumpkins with my niece and nephews!

It's not every day you get such fun stuff in the mail. I count myself lucky.

And I will so definitely be attending. With such a cute invite, even if those kids weren't already some of my very favorite people, how could I not?

No comments: