Thursday, March 31, 2011

MMM Week 5

Sunday, Mar 27, wearing my faithful denim skirt. Really do love this pattern (S5914). I need to make more. I changed the position of the zip from the side seam to the left back seam after buying a skirt at Bloomingdale's with a zip in this position. I figured it would make for easier alterations, should the need arise.

Monday, Mar 28, in my fabulous new red (faux) suede suit! A co-worker commented that I reminded her of something you'd see in an old film, from the 20's or 30's, which I'll take as a compliment. The pattern for the jacket (V9923, c'99) also has a skirt, but for reasons I can't recall, I cut the skirt from M2129 (c '98). I changed the skirt a bit - eliminated the center back seam (you can do that when it's straight) and moved the zip to the side. I goofed, though, and put it on the right instead of the left, which might be why I set it aside. When I picked it up again last week, I didn't remember, so I just put on the facings, and didn't notice until I tried it on. Then I had to figure out for sure which was the front, and sew on a little patch of twill tape as a tag at the back.
A little tip for you: when clipping the inner corners before turning out your facing, don't clip the ends of the ribbons or self-ties that are sewn in near the corner, unless you want them to pull out the minute you've tied them.
(Wardrobe item the 3rd & 4th for 2011!)

Tuesday, Mar 29, wearing my new favorite cardi. I was searching out a different UFO when I saw this one, and knew I had to finish it up right away. The sewing up and edging took a little longer than I'd hoped, but I'm so glad I did it! You should see this with Monday's skirt - a.maz.ing. Seriously. I think I need a bunch more skirts from that pattern. And I think this cardi is going to get a lot of wear in the near future.
(Wardrobe item the 5th - I'm really cookin'!)

Wednesday, Mar 30, debuting the "Seed Packets of Frustration" shirt. Oh, yes, I managed to finish it. Frankly, if it weren't for MMMar'11, and my personal wish not to repeat anything during that time*, this might never have graduated from the sewing room to the wardrobe.
Check out the buttons:
Ladybugs!
I had both plain white, and these cute ladybugs, tucked away with the pattern. I almost went with plain white, but then, I figured, if I'm going to be wearing something this showy, it may as well have cute buttons, too.
So, I was a bit uncomfortable trying to style this to wear to work. I felt like it's out-of-date, and not really me, and rather too casual for work (still think so), but I was determined to wear it. I think I'd like it better with a red belt (similar style), and either red or purple leggings, but I don't have those things, and leggings aren't allowed at work anyway, so I did the best I could. I don't love it with the dress pants.
I was figuring I'd assign this to weekend duty permanently, and then, the new, very young, receptionist/assistant came in (at my clients' office), and she was wearing: oversize striped shirt, wide belt, black leggings. Who knew?
(Wardrobe item the 6th! I don't remember the last time I sewed this much.)

Thursday, Mar 31, last day! Introducing: Ennui Blanc. Shown here with Ennui Noir, first seen Mar 11. Both made from same pattern, B5471, and cut out on the same day, however long ago that was. So seriously happy to be pushing these long-time UFO's out of the sewing room!
(Wardrobe item the 7th...can that be? And here my goal was to make an average of one per month...)

*for the most part, I've managed to keep repetition to a minimum, only wearing items again paired with something else me-made. I think it's the sheer size of my wardrobe that drives me to do this. It would be odd to wear something again so soon in one month.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

I love the first two. The denim skirt is awesome! I just watched Katherine Hepburn in "Bringing Up Baby!" and loved her clothes.