Friday, April 15, 2011

Runs With Chickens Table Runner

Ha! I did it - turned another UFO into a real-world, functioning, useful item!

I spent my FabFibers time Thursday evening hand-stitching the binding to this table runner, just so I could be done with it.
The dark fabric actually has some gold flecks in it, which I think adds a little extra something here.
I considered doing outlines of chickens in the center square, just because, but I'm leaving it for now. I've got other projects that want my attention.

My binding is from the same material as my backing. I actually intended to cut the backing big enough so I could just wrap it around to the front as a sort of mock binding, but I goofed. Wide enough to back it, just not wide enough to wrap to the front when I was done. So I cut bias and pieced that together for the binding.

I do my binding the way I learned from the folks at Little Quilts. You cut a 1 1/2" strip, bias or cross-grain, fold it in half, sew the raw edges to the front of the quilt using a 1/4" seam, and then wrap the folded edge around to the back and hand-stitch in place. It makes for a nice double-layered sturdy binding. There are some similar instructions here.

No comments: